Fatwa n° 1002
Category: Fatwas about financial transactions - Selling
The ruling concerning selling garments
hanging below the ankles “Al-Isbâl”
What is the ruling concerning selling pants? Is it obligatory to inform the customer about the ruling concerning Al-Isbâl (letting them hanging below the ankles)? May Allah reward you with what is best.
All praise is due to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds. Peace and blessing be upon whom Allah sent as a mercy to the Worlds, upon his Family, his Companions and his Brothers until the Day of Resurrection:
If pants are baggy (large enough), not transparent and are not from the garments whereby the disbelievers are distinguished, there is no matter to wear or sell them because they do not display the size of the private parts of the body and do not belong to the garments of disbelievers. As for the ruling concerning Isbâl, it has already been revealed in the fatwa N° 326(1).
Besides, it is recommended to inform the buyer of Al-Qamîs (2) which hangs below the ankles is in the Fire"(4) and his saying صلّى الله عليه وسلّم: "Verily, Allah does not love the one who lets his garment hanging below his ankles" (5).
In order to act according to the duty of advising Muslims and the faithful brotherhood which is demonstrated in wishing for others what he likes for himself and disliking for others what he dislikes for himself, according to the hadith of the Prophet صلّى الله عليه وسلّم: "None of you will have faith till he wishes for his (Muslim) brother what he likes for himself" (6). And manifesting truthfulness in dealing with others, in his saying صلّى الله عليه وسلّم: "If they (the seller and the buyer) spoke the truth and made clear the defects of the goods, they would be blessed in their bargain. But if they told lies and hid some facts, their bargain would be deprived of Allah's blessings” (7).
The perfect knowledge belongs to Allah عزَّ وجلَّ; and our last prayer is all the praises and thanks are to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds, and prayers of Allah are to Muhammad and his Family, Companions and Brothers until the Day of Resurrection.
Algiers on: Rabî‘ Ath-Thânî the 28th, 1430 H
Corresponding to April the 23rd, 2009 G.
(1) It is entitled: “The ruling concerning Isbâl Ath-Thawb (letting the garment hang beneath the ankles)”.
(2) A long baggy dress worn by men. Translator’s note.
(3) A kind of garment: it is a lower garment tied to the waist covering the lower half of the body. It means here any clothe worn by men. Translator’s note.
(4) Narrated by Al-Bukhârî (5787) from the hadith of Abu Hurayra رضي الله عنه.
(5) Narrated by At-Tabarânî in “Musnad Ash-Shâmiyyîn” (1237) and in “Al-Mu‘jam Al-Kabîr” (7909) from the hadith of Abu Umâma رضي الله عنه. Al-Haythamî said: “It is narrated by At-Tabarânî with several chains of transmission and the narrators of one of those chains are trustworthy”. See: “As-Silsila As-Sahîha” (6/ 406).
(6) Narrated by Al-Bukhârî (13) and by Muslim (45) from the hadith of Anas رضي الله عنه.
(7) Narrated by Al-Bukhârî (2110) and by Muslim (1532) from the hadith of Hakîm Ibn Hizâm رضي الله عنه.
- 3518 reads
- 0 plays
- Printer-friendly version
- Envoyer à un ami